Our Q&A this week is with Adam, one of our Upholsterers who also, as a multi-skilled member of the Craftwood team, assists during our larger seating installations.
1. How long have you been working at Craftwood?
2. Please describe your day-to-day role at Craftwood:
I am an Upholsterer, and for large projects I assist the Craftwood site fitting team.
3. Please list any qualifications that you have:
I have an HGV Class 1 + 2 license and I recently obtained my CSCS card, which is a key accreditation for on-site installations.
4. When you are not at Craftwood, what are your interests or hobbies?
Motorsport (bikes), seeing friends and family and attending music events.
5. What do you like most about working at Craftwood?
I like the wide range of seating styles and the variety of projects that we work on. It’s really satisfying to work for a company in which each department is driven by perfection.
6. Are there any Craftwood departments that you particularly admire or take inspiration from for your work?
I admire the whole Craftwood Design Team, as they are clever, talented people who know how to help create beautiful bespoke seating for our customers whilst simplifying the production process for the factory team.
7. Do you have favourite projects you have worked on or perhaps several that stand out?
Project 1: W Hotel, London
Project 2: Tom Dixon Harrods Sandwich
Project 3: Punk Panda, Cardiff Bay
Project 4: Mondrian Hotel, London
Craftwood Seating Styles
8. Do you have a favourite Craftwood upholstery style? If so, why?
1. Deep Button Chesterfield style – this is an old school style of seating but still looks amazing when installed in up and coming venues.
2. Stitch Fluted style – this is effective way of adding a simple detail, as the stitch flutes can vary in size and orientation.
3. Piping – piping around seating makes it stand out more
9. Which Craftwood upholstering style is the most challenging?
I would say Deep Button + stitch flute! This is a hand skilled task that requires time, care and attention to ensure it is completed to a high standard, but the skilled Craftwood team are able to achieve this.
10. Which project(s) are you working on currently? Please provide any significant details:
Punk Panda, which is a stunning venue in Cardiff Bay! The site fitting for me was a rewarding learning curve due to the styles, angles and design of the seating and allocated space.
11. Which project are you looking forward to completing in the future? Please provide any significant details:
Picturehouse Central – this is a very large project that involves a combination of several seating types in a huge range of fabrics and materials. The styles include:
– deep button back seating
– half diamond back seating
– pocket fluted back seating
Craftwood Seating Installations
12. Which seating project did you help to install last?
Argent Marketing, Kings Cross, London – the client left excellent feedback on our Facebook page which made it even more satisfying.
13. Which seating project will you help to install next?
1. GBK Brunswick
2. Residential project in Newbury
14. What do you like most about helping on site fits?
Meeting clients and seeing the venue after we’ve installed the finished product.
15. Please describe a particularly memorable site fitting:
Punk Panda, Cardiff Bay – I was very happy with the detail of the finished seating. This is the first restaurant the client has opened with many more to complete in future!
Argent Marketing – This was a breakout area with 4 upholstered u-booths!
16. Have you dined at a restaurant where you saw the seating you worked on first hand? If yes, where and when?
– Aruba, Bournemouth, April 2015
– Jamie’s Diner, Shaftesbury Avenue, London, February 2015
I was very happy to see the customers’ reactions to the seating and their interest into the time and dedication it took to achieve the finished product!